Sunday, January 9, 2011

Mackenzie's Birth Story (13 years later)

At 2:56 pm it was a official, I became the mother of a teenager. Staying home this winter break has brought back memories of Mackenzie's birth. I had spent the two week winter break resting and relaxing and trying to keep my feet elevated. Darin and I didn't travel to visit family since I was so far along in the pregnancy. I remember hitting the mall with my brother after Christmas and for the first time I wasn't able to keep up the pace. I should have taken that as a sign of how quickly my life was about to change. I headed back to school on a Monday with hopes of finishing the last three weeks of the semester before going on maternity leave. However, Mackenzie had other plans. At a doctor's appointment that Tuesday I found out that I was almost 2 cm dilated but I didn't really think much about it. After school on Wednesday I headed to the gym for 60 minutes on the treadmill and bike, big mistake! That evening I started to feel pains but I was so tired that I fell asleep on the sofa. I didn't have a sub for Thursday so I headed to school thinking I was having false labor pains, it was too soon to be real, Mackenzie wasn't due for another 3 weeks. A friend kept coming in my computer lab to time my contractions. The contractions were starting to hurt a little but they just weren't consistent. As usual, I went home and fell asleep on the sofa. Apparently, I slept through the contractions. When I my alarm clock woke me up in the morning I decided we should head to the hospital even though I was convinced they were going to send me home due to false labor. Needless to say, good thing we went, I was dilated to 5 cm. By 1:00 pm the nurse said I was ready and asked me to start pushing. I remember looking at the clock at 2:30 and saying to myself "darn it, push this baby out by 3:00 so they can make an announcement on the loud speaker at school that Mackenzie Michele Morgan has arrived. With that thought, she was born at 2:56 pm! She was 3 weeks early and weighed only 6 lb 4 oz. By 4:00 pm, my friends from school had arrived in the delivery room to see our new bundle of joy.

Photobucket

Yesterday, we headed to Mackenzie's favorite park for a party with her best friends.

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

After a walk on the nature trail and a visit to the early settlement, we headed home for cake and presents.

Photobucket

Of course we don't serve our daughter and her friends real champagne! Those are plastic glasses filled with sparkling grape juice.

Photobucket

Happy 13th Mackenzie! Is it true? Are your dad and I really the parents of a teenager? Lord help us!!!

Welcome

We are the NaplesMorgans and we have a dog (Wagner) who is 7, and he is a Chinese Crested Powder Puff, not the hairless but the double coated kind. Mason is 13, and he is a big fan of basketball and football. I work as a technology teacher at a local elementary school. Darin has his own business called Ascendant Wealth Management. Mackenzie is 16, and she loves to spend her time practicing for drumline and watching movies.

Blog Archive