Sunday, December 1, 2013

Gather around ...

....and I will tell you the tale of our turkey-less Thanksgiving. For the second year in a row we were unable to make the trek to Georgia for our extended family's Thanksgiving reunion. As you have probably already heard, I have never cooked a turkey nor do I plan to ever cook one in the future.  So, I had the bright idea to head to Busch Gardens on Thanksgiving where we could feast on turkey legs and beer. Beer, did someone say beer?

Yeungling to be exact. Our first stop was the Yeungling brewery just down the street from our Tampa hotel.

 photo 1cc70458-ed88-4053-bbbb-69671ff33832_zpsadc7954b.jpg

As a family we have already toured a winery and cola bottling plant so why not a brewery?

 photo ef7479f7-f895-4460-b509-f53224b3211b_zps2ecb3a5e.jpg

The kids couldn't exactly have a beer but Yuengling did offer them a "root"beer in the tasting room. Overall, they found the tour rather interesting.

 photo 2ba9841b-106b-47c2-858b-68031943a87f_zpsfc63007a.jpg  

After a few sips in the tasting room we were feeling confident enough to face our fears at the Museum of Science and Industry's Sky Trail Ropes Course. The plan was for Darin and the kids to climb the multilevel structure while I stayed on the ground and took pictures. So they got suited up, safety is apparently of the up-most importance when you will be climbing 12 to 36 ft above street level.

 photo 439c2533-58cb-414f-a50d-f1d38c6f8d5c_zps72d5e919.jpg

Needless to say, this is what Darin looked like after ascending to the first platform. Wait a minute, that's not Darin!  I can assure you that is what he looked like, we forgot that he is afraid of heights.

 photo bdaa133c-b1c8-4909-9d62-49e3453436e3_zpsd0af2f0f.jpg

Mason, on the other hand, is our little daredevil.  He headed straight to the highest level without a second thought.

 photo b5ca095b-ad80-42dc-ae5d-85e1f311d7aa_zps559f1997.jpg

Rather than ask for a refund, Darin and I quickly changed roles.

 photo 690551f9-b136-4f42-b66c-8295f9a79a47_zps0d9ae0c2.jpg

I was proud of Mackenzie. For a while she was rocking and rolling on the course and overcoming her fear.

 photo 1f47737c-8fc7-4258-8979-30fee595b70a_zps6dccee5b.jpg

Unfortunately, the winds picked up as the sun was beginning to set and she finally said "enough".

 photo 6e03c347-7085-4c8f-9f50-7038ed96453b_zps83b815f6.jpg

Mason and I continued to enjoy the course until closing time.  I will definitely return again in the future so I can complete all 35 elements.

 photo 35ad7194-80b8-4b2f-b9c1-a17c4f926bad_zpse0c9eb24.jpg

We worked up quite an appetite at the ropes course.  Thankfully, we had dinner reservations in Ybor City which is known as Tampa's Latin Quarter.

 photo 25ef7d50-fcbc-4615-8369-def87c6ede18_zps31dd1f8c.jpg

Founded in 1905 by a Cuban immigrant, the Columbia Restaurant is Florida's oldest restaurant and the largest Spanish restaurant in the world.

 photo f8ffb042-3645-405d-9111-af264a03e0b1_zpsfa0c1f75.jpg

The food and decor are amazing.  There is so much history in this restaurant that it is difficult to soak it all in

 photo e26f2386-0fc4-4e73-a261-55fd854b3280_zpsd4d6b80e.jpg

The kids didn't know it but we had reservations for a stage-side table for the 45 minute Flamenco dance show.

 photo d81c1c16-d8f0-4483-ba0a-4a66fc197d91_zps724ab85c.jpg

On Thanksgiving morning, we were at Busch Gardens when the gates opened.  I had high hopes of purchasing a turkey leg for my Thanksgiving dinner but who was I kidding, I don't even like dark meat.  So that ends the tale of our turkey-less Thanksgiving.

Welcome

We are the NaplesMorgans and we have a dog (Wagner) who is 7, and he is a Chinese Crested Powder Puff, not the hairless but the double coated kind. Mason is 13, and he is a big fan of basketball and football. I work as a technology teacher at a local elementary school. Darin has his own business called Ascendant Wealth Management. Mackenzie is 16, and she loves to spend her time practicing for drumline and watching movies.

Blog Archive