Friday, August 10, 2012

Austin

Austin was the one city that I hadn't spent much time researching prior to leaving Florida.  I wasn't really sure when we would arrive in Austin, how long we would stay and what we would see.  We decided to leave Mt Vernon on a Sunday at noon which would place us in Austin around dinner time.  While en route, I googled hotels and found one within walking distance of the capitol.  It ended up being the best last minute decision of our entire trip. Our room had a view of the University of Texas stadium. The hotel was only blocks from the capitol building and from infamous musical 6th Street. Because we walked to the capitol building, we were able to visit it twice.  Once at night and then again the next morning.    

DSC_9689

DSC_9705

The capitol building is amazing.  It is the largest capitol in the United States, it is even bigger than the capitol in Washington D.C.. I would be lying if I told you that the kids enjoyed 6th Street.  We had a nice rooftop dinner but they felt unsafe walking the downtown street at night.  I think they were over-stimulated with the music, lights and bouncers outside each bar. Darin and I were laughing because it was only a Sunday night. Can you imagine if we had been there on a Friday or Saturday?

Next post: New Braunfels and the Comal River

Welcome

We are the NaplesMorgans and we have a dog (Wagner) who is 7, and he is a Chinese Crested Powder Puff, not the hairless but the double coated kind. Mason is 13, and he is a big fan of basketball and football. I work as a technology teacher at a local elementary school. Darin has his own business called Ascendant Wealth Management. Mackenzie is 16, and she loves to spend her time practicing for drumline and watching movies.

Blog Archive